Powder House

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Military architecture · Year: 1758 · Authors: Francisco de la Pièrre

This building, made of local basaltic ashlar masonry and of sober appearance, is a genuine relic and a rare example of the typology of military-use constructions built in Santa Cruz. It was the result of the need to have a specific place to store gunpowder for the local artillery.

In the mid-18th century, military engineer Francisco de la Pierre was commissioned to develop a project for this purpose. It was decided to install it near the Castle of San Juan, close to the Ermita de la Regla, on the southern outskirts of the city, which prevented any accident that could damage the urban core.

Construction began in 1756 and by 24 May 1758 it had already been completed. The building is structured by a large rectangular nave surrounded by thick walls of basaltic ashlar, covered with a barrel vault and reinforced on the flanks by robust ashlar buttresses.

Its location near the sea made it an easy target, so years after its inauguration, a parapet consisting of a heavy breastwork was built around its northern flank. On the southern and western flanks, a much thinner wall was constructed.

Today it stands, as a silent witness and without a suitable use, very close to the entrance of the city's Maritime Park.

28.45531, -16.25376