Santa Ana Square

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets

The Catholic KIngs (by Royal Decree 24.XII.1494) ordered that there be "in the square, a convenient spot, a Council building, Jail, a Local Parliament building, plus a place for the public scribes as well as a auditorium for Mayors' meetings". The frontis of the Cathedral of Santa Ana was turned around -in about 1500-, not only was the city centre moved from the Plaza del Pilar Nuevo,  to the east, to this new location, to the west, but a space was freed up where the Cathedral and the Government Cabildo building faced eachother, along with the Granary, Corn Market and the Flour Weighing Building. Down the longest sides were the Episcopal, Palace, the Casa del Regente, the Elder Ensigns on the island as well as others for "some leading figures". From the Melgarejo Decrees (1531) it was also ordered to be a square for Market and Supplies. In 1892, Laureano Arroyo flattened out and repointed the square, separating from the buildings with road around it. The characteristic bronze dogs that are resting opposite the Cathedral date from the beginning of the 20th century. The square has lost part of its character as an administrative centre, while still keeping its appearance. It is openly rectangular in shape with uneven architecture and pedestrian access all round, following the refurbishment by Luis Alemany carried out in 2000. It therefore responds to the regularity of colonial or main squares, with access on all sides, and with steps on the lower sides climbing up to the flat platform. It is closed off by parapets, benches, shells and stone ornaments.

28.100489, -15.415574