Royal Road of Gáldar

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: S. XVI

The royal road of Gáldar or of the North after the Conquest became the most important land route on the entire island, as it connected by land, overcoming great orographic difficulties, the capital with one of the richest and most economically exploited areas of Gran Canaria at that time. In the valleys, plains and ravines of the northwestern sector of the island, important sugar mills were established that concentrated great economic activity, making the centres of Arucas, Guía and Gáldar flourish. These population centres, from the beginning of the 16th century, were connected to the capital by a bridle path that supported heavy traffic of people and goods.  

The royal road from the city of Las Palmas to Gáldar started from Vegueta and after crossing the Guiniguada headed towards the hermitage of San Justo y Pastor, before ascending the San Nicolás slope to reach a narrow pass, where the Cruz de Piedra (Stone Cross) is located today. From there it continued towards San Lorenzo, where it branched with one fork towards Teror and another towards Arucas, passing through the Tamaraceite plain and crossing Tenoya, where there was an important sugar mill. From there, the cart road took the direction towards the coast of Bañaderos and crossing San Andrés and San Felipe it climbed steeply towards the Cuesta de Silva to finally reach the plains that precede the settlements of Guía and Gáldar. 

The royal road of the North was always considered of great importance in the island's road network, as it connected in its long, winding and complicated route, the capital with the main productive areas of this part of the island. The maintenance of this route and its good condition was always a concern for the island authorities.

28.1039, -15.427642