The Queen Victoria Hospital: former English Hospital

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1891

The Queen Victoria Hospital, known as the English Hospital, was founded in 1891. British shipping companies based at the Port of La Luz conceived the idea of building this hospital after observing how an English nurse living in Las Palmas, Miss Hudson, cared for sick sailors of her own nationality who returned from voyages and were forced to disembark at the Port of La Luz. She provided voluntary service and worked altruistically for the British community in Las Palmas for a long time, treating injured sailors and caring for those with delicate health.

The hospital was run by British doctors from its inception. It was located at number 52 Sagasta Street, near the port, and all its staff were English-speaking. The use of water and electricity was free thanks to donations from "the City" and Unelco, respectively. Some of the doctors who attended this hospital are still fondly remembered in Gran Canaria; it is worth mentioning Dr Taylor, Dr Parson, Dr Baxter and Dr Harrison. The building was opposite Las Canteras beach and was in service until 1966. Its site is now occupied by the Hotel Cristina.

The new Queen Victoria Hospital was built in the Altavista area and was still providing service.

28.144850772405, -15.430756514295