Foundation

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1494

Locating the space that allows us to determine exactly the specific place of the foundation of the city of Santa Cruz on 3 May 1494 is a point on which historians do not agree. Narrative sources only indicate that the landing of the conquering army led by Alonso Fernández de Lugo took place in Santa Cruz, on the beaches of Añazo, without specifying anything further. Some documents suggest that it took place at Caleta de Negros, near where the San Juan castle is located today, more precisely in what was called Puerto de Caballos, south of that castle where the Hondura pier is today. But one thing is the landing and quite another the establishment of a stable camp where the troops could supply themselves, especially with water. Tradition holds that this establishment took place in the area now occupied by Avenida Marítima, in the section between the Santos ravine and the Aceite ravine, which today runs under the current Imeldo Serís Street. Between these two watercourses that could carry water and on the edge of a pebble beach, tradition holds that the wooden cross of the conquest was planted, and a mass was celebrated, events that have remained as the founding act of the place. 

In the early days of the city, in this beach area, cattle were usually slaughtered, and years later a slaughterhouse and butcher's shop were installed. The latter operated until 1851, when the old market hall came into service, and the meat sales were moved there; the slaughterhouse, however, continued in the old building until it was demolished to make way, in 1896, for the construction of the city's first power station. This new industrial building remained until well into the 20th century, when the power station was moved outside the city. The resulting plot, still undeveloped today, is currently located between the MAPFRE building and Europa Square. Perhaps this was the place where Santa Cruz was born.

28.464358, -16.247943