The Inquisition Houses
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces
These houses occupied the eastern side of calle de San Marcos, between the streets of Vera Cruz and Los Canónigos, at the section known today as Dr. Verneau. The headquarters of the Tribunal of the Santo Oficio may have been previously sited on the calle Armas, if we take into account the original name of "Inquisition" that this street used to be called. The Inquisition building had audience rooms and a chapel, as well as a cloister area. It also had gardens and an ornamental stone fountain. Down at the basement were the frightening torture dungeons. The building was rebuilt and restored in 1659. It was set out in a castle layout, and was used as a jail in the 19th century, after the fire at the Casas Consistoriales, or Town Hall buildings.
28.09923, -15.415098