Convent of San Francisco

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces

Very close to the Convent of Santa Clara, in the Triana neighbourhood, was this convent. According to Madoz, it had large orchards within its cloistered grounds, with other small gardens where many citrus fruits, vegetables and fruits were gathered.

In 1842 the town council, invoking the legislation in force at the time, once again requested the Government that this convent, like the others that had been suppressed, be put to public use, and in this case that it serve as accommodation for the garrison and regiment of Las Palmas. Indeed, the old convent was ceded to the Military Treasury to house the regiment of Las Palmas, remaining in military use until the early 1960s, when it was demolished due to its ruinous state. [...] the convent church was preserved for parish use (San Francisco).

28.103733, -15.417678