San Francisco Barracks
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1849
In the premises of the former San Francisco convent, after its disentailment, a barracks was installed in 1849, initially intended for the Artillery branch, then for Engineers, and finally for the Infantry corps, which remained there well into the 20th century.
The former convent converted into a barracks was a huge two-storey building occupying the entire block between Maninidra Street, San Francisco Street, the church of the same name, and what was then an estate owned by the heirs of Esteban Avellaneda. The construction had the appearance typical of this type of Canarian conventual enclosures: high walls, few exterior openings, large open spaces inside (cloister and orchard), with abundant stonework and wood.
After its disposal by the State in 1836, the building began functioning, from 1849, as a military facility. It fulfilled this function for more than a century, until it was exchanged with the Island Council (Cabildo Insular) for another building located on Juan de Quesada Street, where the University rectorate is today. Once the Island Corporation owned the old building, it hurried to demolish it to build the Conservatorio de música (Music Conservatoire) here. Today, only the symbolic espadaña (bell gable), built in 1679, and its two entrance arches remain from that convent transformed into a barracks.
The San Francisco Barracks was one of the most important military installations in the city.
28.103321, -15.417761