Reyes Barracks

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1821

The building that currently houses the Juan Negrín Foundation previously had a military use and was known as the Reyes Barracks.

It is a magnificent construction with neoclassical touches whose author is unknown. It is located in the southern sector of the Vegueta neighbourhood and its two-storey figure stands out for the "enlightened" symmetry of the façade which features interesting basalt stone details on its plinth, corners, window frames and cornice. The interior space is arranged around a splendid square courtyard.

The building was acquired by the State in February 1821 with the purpose of dedicating it as an Artillery barracks. It then passed to the Cavalry branch, for which it underwent considerable reform for this use, with the construction of large stables. Already in the 20th century it housed the offices of the Recruitment Office and Mobilisation Centre.

In 1981 it acquired a configuration very close to the current one, marked by the division of the open spaces on the ground floor and the removal of the partitions on the first floor. Its use ceased to be military and it became the property of the Cabildo de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria Island Council) which used it as a Workshop School.

In 2009 an ambitious reform and rehabilitation project was presented. The works were completed in 2013, leaving the former military building ready to house the headquarters of the Juan Negrín Foundation, inaugurated on 3 February 2014.

28.09884, -15.41418