The Convent of San Ildefonso
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1634
This monastery was occupied by "barefoot" St. Bernard nuns. It was the second nuns convent in the city. It was founded around the time of Bishop Murga, and opened its cloisters at the start of 1634. It was square in shape, with a central cloister presided by a fountain, and occupied the block joining the streets of San Marcos, Vera Cruz, Santo Domingo and Canónigos. Its construction might have determined the disappearance of a stretch of alley along Santa Bárbara, as in the street plan by Torriani this road starts at the street of San Marcos. The drawing that appears in the plan by Castillo proves that the façade of its chapel looked out over calle San Marcos (Dr. Verneau), and one of its sides running down calle Vera Cruz (Dr. Chil).
It was unfortunately expropriated, leading to its demolition in the second half of the 19th century (1868). Plans were turn its plot of land into a botanical garden. Nowadays part of this plot is taken up by the Museo Canario.
28.099634, -15.415438