The Church of San José

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Religious architecture · Year: c. 1780 · Authors: Diego Nicolás Eduardo

The church of San José was the brainchild of Diego Nicolás Eduardo in around 1780, on the edge of early city border, and at the foot of the cliff of San José. It is located across from a little square, and has a single rectangular nave with side chapels and a transept. The inside is covered by a barrel vault with a plaster compartment; the stone pillastres, which run along the side walls, are transformed into transverse arches. Light comes in through the spaces set back with stone surrounds all at the same level. The neoclassic façade stands out for the stone doorway, with lowered arches and gable and bell wall and pinnacles in axial symmetry. Along the sides of the building are two main bodies that act as buttresses, with lowered loggia style covered arches, with the stonework standing out on the corners, arches, frames, pillastres and gargoyles. Refurbishments in the 1980s (managed by Luis Alemany) consisted of the general strengthening of the foundations and vault, which were nearly in ruins, as well as the waterproofing of the whole building. The side porches, which were in the original plans, were also reclaimed. When the altarpiece was dismounted they discovered a series of stone arches which were left in view, while the altarpiece itself was moved to the former sacristy.

28.094849, -15.418497