Old Bridge

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1511

Since the development in the early 16th century first of the Vegueta neighbourhood and then Triana, separated by the Guiniguada ravine, the only way to connect the two centres was to ford the ravine, a task that in winter became almost impossible due to the amount of water flowing towards the sea. Therefore, the construction of a bridge was imperative.

The first news about the construction of a bridge over the Guiniguada dates back to 1511, when a report from the Court in response to the demands of the island governor Lope de Sosa authorised the collection of funds necessary to finance the construction of a small wooden bridge.

A footbridge was then installed that connected the right side of the ravine at the height of Herrería street (which started from Los Álamos square), with the left bank, in a small open space in front of the hermitage of Los Remedios, already in Triana.

This "Old Bridge", the first and fragile infrastructure that connected the main neighbourhoods of the city at that time, stood until 1579, when the force of a flood of the ravine swept it away.

28.102241, -15.414999