"New" San Felipe Redoubt or Battery
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1741 · Authors: Antonio Riviere, Francisco de La Pierre
This redoubt was built in 1741 on the wall that protected the city to the north, very close to the Triana gate and the Santa Ana tower.
It was installed at the initiative of the Commander General of the Canary Islands Andrés Bonito de Pignatelli, as part of his fortification plan. The project was drafted by military engineers Antonio Riviere and Francisco La Pierre.
The work was completed in 1743 and was a small rectangular structure about just over 10 metres long. It had capacity to house two 18-pounder cannons that defended against possible assaults from the north. It also had a small guardhouse and space for a powder magazine. It seems that in 1789 this redoubt was manned by a single soldier who lived there with his family.
Known as the "new" one because it was later than another battery of the same name built on the slopes of Santa Catalina hill, this more modern military enclosure disappeared in the 19th century along with the rest of the wall on which it stood.
28.109242, -15.417562