Rosario or Southern Road
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1910
Since the 16th century there was a path known as Camino de Candelaria that connected Santa Cruz with the Marian town, heavily used during pilgrimage or romería seasons. It was a rocky bridle path in constant poor condition. We know little more about it, but we assume that the subsequent roads opened towards the south of the island followed a route very similar to this ancient path: from the urban centre of Santa Cruz to the mountain of Taco; from there, after crossing some good ravines, one reached El Chorrillo, where three crosses divided three paths; one descending to Candelaria; another ascending to El Rosario; and the last continuing towards the southern slopes.
Since 1864, island authorities had requested the State to establish a road reaching Guímar. For this purpose, a second-class road project was approved; although in 1868, due to lack of funds, it was downgraded to a local road and it was proposed that it be financed by the interested municipalities themselves.
In 1887 the matter was resumed. This time the aim was to build a road that at least in its first phase connected Santa Cruz with the neighbouring town of El Rosario and, from there, over time, could be extended southwards.
Finally, the long-awaited Rosario road began construction in 1910. It started from the old coastal path, the current Avenida de Reyes Católicos, then headed behind what is today the Los Gladiolos industrial estate, a rocky and very rugged terrain where years later the neighbourhoods of Somosierra, Tío Pino, Las Delicias and the Sanitary Residence Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria would be established. From here it would reach the mountain of Taco, where it already took direction towards the municipality of El Rosario, then continuing into the south of the island.
28.458993, -16.272054