García-Escámez Iron Market (La Abejera)
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1898
The original location of this prototypical iron architecture structure on the island was Plaza de la Madera, next to the old market hall. It was installed there in 1898 with the clear objective of expanding the facilities of the old market.
For this purpose, this type of iron building was chosen, with the clear aim of saving time and money, as it was a serial product prepared for assembly. The structure was manufactured in London, arriving in November 1897. The assembly was carried out by Luis Braun, an engineer who at that time was responsible for the work on the Titán crane in the port.
The complex was set on a stone plinth which also served as the base for the wall panel from which the metal slats and roofs were placed. Inside, except for the stalls for goods, iron predominates, with particular interest in the beauty of the trusses and supporting elements. It is a sober and functional ensemble, whose main attraction lies in the interior spaces.
Dedicated during its early period to the sale of fish, the opening of the Nuestra Señora de África market in the mid-20th century meant that the iron structure, given its mobility, was moved to the García-Escámez neighbourhood, which was under construction at that time. It was inaugurated at its new location in 1948.
28.454776, -16.27287