Plaza de la Paz
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1919-2005
The place once occupied by Plaza de la Paz was known for a long time as Cuatro Caminos, indicating its vocation as a crossroads, at the intersection of two ravines: the one now known as Santa Cruz and that of Pulido.
The area was urbanised in 1919, and the name Plaza de la Paz was proposed as the First World War had ended shortly before. In the 1950s it was equipped with a luminous fountain, the first of its kind on the island.
The introduction of the new tramway in the first decade of the 21st century led to the dismantling of the square, with a small fountain placed on one side of where the original stood, although it bears no relation to it.
28.467834, -16.261345