Biblioteca Insular (Island Library)

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Cultural spaces · Subcategory: Libraries and archives · Year: 1870-1898 · Authors: Manuel Ponce de León y Falcón, Fernando Navarro

The original building represents one of the finest examples of late 19th century architecture, and was the work of architect Fernando Navarro (in 1898). Its eclectic architectural style has had several uses and undergone a number of refurbishments. It was firstly the Trade Centre, and was later refurbished by architect Miguel Martín (in 1933) following its sale to the Banco Hispano Americano and by architect Manuel de la Peña in the 1970s. In 1986, the Cabildo de Gran Canaria local government regained the building and commissioned architect José Luis Gago to fully restore it in order to house the collections from the Casa de Colón Museum, thus creating the latest project as the new Island Library, which opened its doors to the public in March 1991.

In 2001 the Cabildo de Gran Canaria acquired another building next door, with a view to extending the Biblioteca Insular de Gran Canaria. This building in question was the "Casa de Doña Úrsula Quintana Llarena", also known as the Palacete Romántico; it was designed in 1870 by Gran Canarian town planner Manuel Ponce de León (1812-1880), a key figure in the growth of the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria during the 19th century.

The front of the building still has the noble coat of arms bearing the surnames Quintana, Nava, Falcón and Llarena. In 1886 chemist Fernando Bojart bought this fine stately home and, following the local authority's go ahead, refurbished it to his personal liking. According to the chronicles of the time, there were many resounding parties held in the courtyards and rooms, with the presence of the high society of Las Palmas.

In November 2009 a whole new refurbishment project started on the building that occupies the streets of Muro and Remedios. Finally, on 27th November 2013 the new Biblioteca Insular de Gran Canaria was inaugurated, definitively linking up the buildings of Fernando Navarro and Ponce de León. Both these fully restored buildings now stand proud within the historical town centre area of Vegueta - Triana, considered two of the most significant buildings of the 19th century. 

28.102436, -15.415559