Royal Road of the Port of Las Isletas

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Memory spaces · Year: 1478

The road that connected the Port of Las Isletas with the town of Las Palmas predates even the city itself, as it was travelled by the Castilian conquerors from their landing place to the site they chose, on the edge of the Guiniguada ravine, as suitable for founding the Real de Las Palmas.

Over time, this road, whose route ran parallel to the coast, gradually proved to be fundamental as it was the route through which the main supply to the city from outside was carried out.

Its development did not reach ten kilometres. It started from the Vegueta neighbourhood, crossed the Guiniguada and through the Triana neighbourhood left the Real in the middle of some wastelands and sandy areas until reaching Las Isletas, an area which in the 16th century was an almost deserted place that barely had a defensive fort, a hermitage, two inns of bad reputation for sailors, warehouses for goods and some houses owned by the Riberol and Mansel families, both with interests in maritime traffic.

Over time the road between Las Palmas and its port was consolidated and evolved from its first state as a bridle path, then, in the 19th century, becoming a main road and, finally, in the 20th century, the long León y Castillo street, urbanised throughout its route.

28.127989, -15.429975