Castle of La Luz or Las Isletas

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Military architecture

At the end of the 15th century the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria had just one fortress, located at the bay of Las Isletas; it was the Castle of La Luz, erected in 1494 at the orders of governer Alonso Fajardo, above the reef on which Juan Rejón had previously built a tower. Its square construction presents an irregular aparejo, except on its base and corners, with more geometrically proportioned sillería.

To access it, it was necessary to pass through a front door, another door and then a stormdoor, in a criss-cross fashion. A cubicle crowned its entrance from where any kind of objects could be thrown down onto the enemy. Behind the door was a large courtyard where the steps went up to the so called arms square, from which the sea side defences were protected by a sturdy parapet, with port holes and small windows on the side facing inland. At the northern angle of the square there was a turreted tower. The layout consisted of stables, straw stores, garrison accommodation and a room for the mayor, set out on three floors.

It was set on fire during the attack by Van der Does, and was rebuilt in 1601. In 1893 it was passed over to the War Marines and put under the command of the Port Board in 1942.

This fortress was once separated from the city by around five kilometres, and therefore provided insufficient defence for it, so Philip 2nd, who was worried by successive pirate attacks that plundered the island, put forward different projects to add further defences, and sent in several engineers including Juan Alonso Rubián, Leonardo Torriani, and Próspero Cassola.

28.148632, -15.424832