The Hermitage of San Telmo
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Religious architecture · Year: 1694
The first hermitage was founded in the 16th century and was then destroyed by the Dutch invasion in 1599, while its reconstruction started again in 1694. The hermitage was the place of worship for the seamen's brotherhood, and today is the parish of San Bernardo [...] the building is located at the southwest corner of the park, and gets its name for the advocation of the Dominican San Pedro González Telmo. It has a rectangular layout with two longitudinal wall gaps. The larger one is occupied by the hermitage nave, which has a gabled roof, and the presbytery, a higher structure and a double gable. The other wall gap with diverse heights and flat roofs or with transversal gables, is occupied by parish installations and the sacristy. On the inside is the barrel arch which splits the two spaces or gaps, as well as the Baroque altarpiece and the Mudejar coffered ceilings. The façade is set within repointed side pillasters. It has a Rennaissance styled stone central element where the arched door opened out to the frontis, window, gable end and bell tower. On the doorjambs there are pillasters, while the tympanum is decorated with an iconography of seven shells and Dominican cross.
28.108093, -15.416978