San Telmo Park

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets

The space of San Telmo Park, formerly called Miguel de Cervantes square, always marked the northern end of the neighbourhood and of Triana street. At its side it was closed off by the wall and the castles of Santa Ana and San Felipe. It was here that the shipwrights and coastal fishermen who made up the Royal Brotherhood of Seafarers carried out their trades, with whose contributions the hermitage of San Pedro González Telmo (San Telmo), today the parish of San Bernardo, was built. The hermitage was destroyed by the Dutch pirate Pieter Van der Does in 1599. It was rebuilt in the first half of the 17th century. It is an example of Mudéjar architecture with a Gothic Renaissance portal. Inside, in addition to the Mudéjar coffered ceiling and the altarpiece, stand out the Immaculate from the Convent of the Bernardas, the Lord of the Little Donkey and the Child of Remedy.

To the west of this park stands the beautiful palace housing the Military Government, built at the end of the 19th century; and to the east, on the old breakwater of the first dock of Las Palmas, the first monument to the Triana native D. Benito Pérez Galdós, work of Victorio Macho, was erected, today located in his House-Museum.

Initially, the park was called La Alameda, and over time it became a pleasant corner where flowerbeds gave life to rich vegetation and urban planners placed beautiful kiosks with romantic and modernist airs such as Massanet's "Refreshments".

28.108675, -15.416849