Miraflores Football Ground
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1912
The football ground that was located at the upper part of Miraflores street, opposite what is now Plaza Militar and extending to Alfaro street, was the first football ground where CD Tenerife played until the inauguration of the stadium in 1925.
This ground began its journey in December 1912, when the newly created Tenerife Sporting Club, predecessor of what would later be CD Tenerife, started playing there against teams from the rest of the island (the first match was against Laguna Sporting Club). Later, teams from Gran Canaria came to play here, and even some ship crews who made stops in Santa Cruz.
Club Deportivo Tenerife, from 1922, the year of its foundation, until 1925, the year of its move to the Stadium (later Rodríguez López), played no less than 106 matches at Miraflores; the first, on 1 October 1922, a friendly against Tenerife's second team, which ended with the substitutes winning one to zero. The last was on 12 July 1925, with a three to zero victory against Laurel. Also, the following passed through this ground: Marítimo de Funchal, Real Vigo, Sevilla, a Cádiz selection and several Gran Canaria teams such as Victoria, Gran Canaria, Porteño, Marino, Santa Catalina and a team called Selección de Las Palmas; also Tinerfeño teams such as Hespérides, Santa Cruz, Castro, Gimnástica, Rival, Luz y Vida, Salamanca, Iberia and Fomento.
The Miraflores ground measured 81 x 42 metres, dimensions now unsuitable for playing football. The ground was owned by the Caulfield family who rented it out for sporting use. In the 1930s, after the ground was abandoned, the owners built an interesting rationalist architectural style housing development on part of the land, designed by José Enrique Marrero Regalado.
28.46621, -16.25558