Casa Forstall

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: S. XVIII

The Forstall family arrived in Santa Cruz in the mid-18th century from their native Ireland. Both Francisco, his cousin Patricio, and Francisco's son Pedro reached a prominent economic position mainly thanks to the export business of orchilla and the creation of a thriving ship freight company.

These merchants, traders and shipowners, devout Catholics who contributed to refurbishing both the chapel of the Third Order and the dome of the Franciscan convent tower, bought, as a residence and office for their business, an old mansion located on Marina street, which they expanded and adapted according to their needs, eventually turning it into one of the main buildings on the maritime façade of Santa Cruz.

Casa Forstall was a tall and spacious building, with three balconyed floors overlooking the bay. The façade featured a striking closed Canarian balcony with pronounced profiles and very fine craftsmanship, from where the failed attempt to land and take the Santa Cruz pier by Nelson's troops in 1797 could be watched, in the front line of fire.

The interior space of the house occupied the entire block, from Marina street to San Francisco street. Along the hundred metres of depth, the building was structured through three walkable courtyards. The one closest to San Francisco street served as a workshop for repairing and making sails for vessels; the middle and main courtyard, measuring fourteen by eight metres, had four pine columns with bases supporting a beautiful high gallery on the third floor with cushions, turned balusters and lattice behind, running along all four sides. This magnificent traditional Canarian courtyard featured a splendid staircase.

The house also housed a small chapel consecrated in one of its interior spaces. 

The roof eaves, with carved and projecting beam heads, gave the building great harmony. Above the three floors, a beautiful lookout tower dominated the town's landing stage. 

Over time, the building changed hands until it suffered a serious fire in 1848; but it was not until the second half of the 20th century that it unfortunately disappeared, following the urban planning of the entire Marina street.

28.468452, -16.247995