Cross of San Agustín
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Religious architecture · Year: Siglo XVIII
The history of this cross dates back at least to the 18th century, when it was part of the façade of an old hospice founded by the Augustinian order. Despite the closure of the hospice in 1767, the cross was preserved in a place close to the original and at some point came to give its name to the neighbourhood, then known as the Cross of San Agustín neighbourhood.
In 1908, Felipe Poggi, on behalf of the neighbourhood festival committee, requested from the City Council the allocation of a plot to build a small chapel, but the influential Tomás Clavijo y Castillo, whose house was adjacent, opposed it and nothing came of it. Finally, it was placed in a garden very close to its original location, situated at the junction of La Marina and San Francisco streets, facing the roundabout of the architect Marrero Regalado.
The cross, made of wood, was restored during the summer of 2018 by the cabinetmaker Luis González. Treatments for insect extermination and disinfection were applied, as well as work aimed at the volumetric reintegration of the piece. Preventive protection against insects and microorganisms was also carried out.
28.473181, -16.247744