Church of Saint George (former Anglican church)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Religious architecture · Year: 1905

The growing importance of the Anglo-Saxon community in Santa Cruz, both due to tourism and economic activities, led them to demand increasingly better services to carry out their daily lives. Thus arose the idea of providing religious assistance with the construction of a chapel or small Anglican church, as already existed in Puerto de la Cruz since 1890.

With funds raised among commercial firms and residents, the English colony purchased a plot for their church in 1897 in what would be known years later as the Hotels district. The project was exhibited to the public in the salons of the firm Hamilton, on La Marina street. The laying of the building’s first stone was part of the celebrations with which the British colony marked the sixtieth anniversary of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne. The consecration of the temple took place on 21 December 1905, the date on which the Anglican bishop of Sierra Leone, whose diocese the church belonged to, was scheduled to arrive.

Smaller than its counterparts in Puerto de la Cruz and Las Palmas, the complex surrounded by gardens houses, in addition to the historicist-style temple so typical of Victorian architecture, a house for the pastor.

Today the church is dedicated to Catholic worship.

28.470553, -16.25531