House Rambla de Pulido 44
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Civil architecture · Year: 1890-1900
We highlight this building for being one of the few, or perhaps the only one, that remains standing from the originals that since the late 19th century were located on both sides of what was then called Camino de La Laguna and which since 1903 became Rambla de Pulido.
This type of single-storey terraced house began to be built along this road in the 1880s and for more than thirty years the model developed up the street until reaching what would later be called Plaza de la Paz. They were modest single-storey buildings with flat roofs. Their façades, at the edge of the road, usually had three openings (door and two windows) and inside a small corridor gave access to the rest of the rooms, leading to a rear courtyard. Alongside this type of building, the street also had a poplar tree-lined avenue that developed along both pavements.
Known as Camino de La Laguna, Military Hospital Street and, finally, Rambla de Pulido, in honour of José Manuel Pulido Álvarez de la Fuente (1845-1900), lawyer, writer, politician, secretary of the Town Hall and an influential figure in Santa Cruz in the second half of the 19th century, the road gradually lost its original appearance over the years, with the terraced houses being replaced by tall residential buildings with commercial premises on the ground floor.
This house at number 44 barely remains as a genuine relic of the past, standing as an example of the former appearance of this important street.
28.46773, -16.25904