Marble Cross

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Art · Subcategory: Sculpture · Year: 1759 · Authors: Salvador de Alcaraz y Valdés

Located in the heart of Plaza de la Iglesia, in a gardened area surrounded by a fence, is this marble cross made in Málaga by Salvador de Alcaraz y Valdés, donated to the population in 1759 by Captain Bartolomé Antonio Méndez Montañez.

Its original location was at the head of Plaza de la Candelaria, on the opposite side to the sculptural group erected to the Virgin. In 1929 the cross was moved to Plaza de San Telmo, opposite the hermitage of the same name. When the square disappeared due to the opening of Bravo Murillo street, it was again moved to its current location.

28.464814, -16.248777