Concordia Promenade

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1838

The Concordia Promenade was inaugurated in 1838. It was the second attempt made in Santa Cruz, after the construction of the Alameda, to have a tree-lined and pleasant space for the enjoyment of the citizens. The initiative was led by Juan Manuel Pereyra, Marquis of Concordia, general commander of the Canary Islands. 

The promenade was located on the left bank of the Santos ravine, in the outskirts of what was then the Consolación neighbourhood. The choice of location was not entirely appropriate, as it was a somewhat desolate area.

The garden was structured by a 145-metre-long and twenty-metre-wide walkway, with a considerable number of trees planted, especially acacias and mulberry trees. It soon became clear the little interest shown in the promenade both by the general public and the municipality, which was responsible for its maintenance.

In 1860, it was proposed to remove it as useless and costly. Seven years later, it was sold to a merchant who used it as a guano depot, further degrading the area, which then became a source of bad odours.

Thus ended this green area and promenade project that never really took off.

28.464769, -16.251873