Plaza de Weyler

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1880

Plaza de Weyler takes its name from the military figure Valeriano Weyler (1838-1930), Captain General of the Canary Islands between 1878 and 1883, promoter of the construction of the Palacio de la Capitanía General and, by extension, of this large square that unfolds in front of its façade.

Until the late 18th century, there was nothing in this area, as the city, in its expansion, had not yet reached these foothills. In 1776, construction began on a military hospital on the site now occupied by the Capitanía. This old hospital was the first building encountered by travellers descending the La Laguna road, now Rambla de Pulido. In 1852, municipal ordinances designated this space, with a crossroads vocation, as a place where resting and feeding livestock and horses was permitted, functioning as a gateway to the city, as well as serving as a suitable area for militia exercises and training.

The Town Hall considered the possibility of urbanising this area from 1870, when the extension of Calle del Castillo was already underway. Four years later, the first trees were planted in this area, which was still military property.

The construction of the Palacio de Capitanía in 1879 gave a great boost to the development of the square, which was superficially arranged, its ground levelled, and the four surrounding streets laid out. In 1881, its perimeter was enclosed by a fence made of basalt stone benches (now disappeared) and a five-step staircase was built leading inside from Calle del Castillo; the cobblestones were completed in 1888, and in the centre a significant and lustrous white marble fountain of monumental character was installed in 1899.

This entire space has been reformed throughout its history, altering its original appearance. Marble was laid on the ground and the internal road layout was complicated to the detriment of simplicity. In the end, Plaza de Weyler has remained an open enclosure, more a thoroughfare than a space for recreation and rest, although it retains that original charm as a meeting point of roads.

28.467712, -16.255563