Military Square (Pedro Schwartz Square)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1879

Military Square owes its existence to two surrounding elements: on one hand, the old Military Hospital (today a social-health centre for elderly people) located on the other side of Ramón y Cajal Street; and on the other, the populous Duggi neighbourhood. 

There were already buildings in the lower part of the neighbourhood since 1869, built on the initiative of Luis Duggi, a merchant and landowner, who was authorised in 1874 to carry out an urban development plan for that area. Five years later, the Town Hall donated the large plot opposite the Military Hospital to create a square, which was then called 24th February. In 1912, the square was completely renovated, acquiring an appearance very similar to what it has today.

Although popularly known as "Military Square", its official name is Pedro Schwartz Square (1854-1940), mayor of Santa Cruz on several occasions and president of the Provincial Council of the Canary Islands in 1924.

28.466309, -16.256655