La Palma Street
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1692
This small street runs within the urban area parallel to the old del Sol (now Dr. Allart) and Castillo streets, also linking what was previously known as del Norte (today Valentín Sanz) with the old Botón de Rosa (now Nicolás Estévanez).
Already named La Palma in 1692, perhaps because there was once a palm tree of considerable size now disappeared, it has always been the rear of the two most important and developed streets running alongside it: Castillo and Sol.
During the first decades of the 19th century, several businesses dedicated to selling fish were established on La Palma street. The narrowness of the street and its poor ventilation made it unhealthy. In 1841 the newspaper El Teide named it as one of the dirtiest places in the city.
After the fish markets were moved to the old market hall, La Palma street improved both in appearance and condition, although this small street has always, until today, remained as the rear of buildings with main façades facing the adjacent streets. It was a place for goods to enter and exit, not for public display. Nevertheless, it is one of the historic streets of Santa Cruz's urban area, where the old air of the ancient city can still be breathed.
28.466691, -16.250241