Calle del Norte (Valentín Sanz)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: S. XVIII

This important street marked, at the beginning of the 18th century, the urban limit of Santa Cruz in its growth inland. Since 1709 it was already known as Calle del Norte and its route connected the two ends of the city between the Aceite ravine and the San Francisco ravine, both points where the two convents the population had were also established.

By the middle of the 18th century the road was fully formed. Important homes were established there, such as that of Domingo Vicente Marrero, who became mayor of the town during Nelson's assault. In his home, which functioned as the town hall, important meetings were held.

Calle del Norte was paved in 1820, and at both ends of its route two water supply fountains for the population were installed: the one known as Chorro de Arriba, at the corner with San Roque street, today Suárez Guerra; and to the south, the Santo Domingo fountain, which supplied the Miraflores neighbourhood.

The street's prestige increased as the 19th century progressed. The main entrance to Plaza del Príncipe was made from it and the entire area was remodelled by the municipal architect with houses featuring classical-style façades that gave the street an elegant uniformity now lost. The street was completely cobbled in 1892. Five years later, a project was made to connect it with the El Toscal neighbourhood, through its link with La Rosa street. 

Calle del Norte changed its name at the end of 1898, when news arrived of the death in New York of the renowned Santa Cruz painter Valentín Sanz. The municipal corporation then decided to give the great artist's name to such an important street.

With its new name, it was the first in the city to have, at its corner with Castillo street, a traffic light controlling the area's vehicular traffic. 

From 1937, the extension of the street southwards was projected through the construction of a bridge to cross the Santos ravine. The viaduct became a reality in 1943 with the inauguration of the Serrador bridge, which provided definitive access, as an extension of the street, from the urban centre to the new market.

28.466954, -16.251136