Zurita Bridge

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1754

The Zurita was the second bridge built in the city to cross the Santos ravine. The first was the El Cabo bridge, located beside the church of La Concepción. This location, almost at the mouth of the ravine, was always a problem, as every so often it was ruined by floods that exceeded its height, leaving the San Telmo neighbourhood cut off, as well as interrupting communication with the island's main city at that time: La Laguna, since it was the start of the road leading there.

In the mid-18th century, the construction of another bridge " at a greater height, next to the plain known as Perera " was proposed in a wasteland full of fig trees and vines, to the west of the city. The work would be costly but effective, as there was no risk of flooding since it was situated well above the riverbed and it also had the advantage of shortening the route to La Laguna.

It is a single-arch bridge made of ashlar masonry and, by regularising the road level in relation to its surface, it made possible the paving of the road in its two immediate sections, which was a great advance. Three horse-drawn carriages could travel on it simultaneously, given its width. After the work was completed, a marble plaque (now lost) was fixed on one side with an inscription bearing the name of the Captain General who made it possible: Juan de Urbina.

The Zurita Bridge was completed in 1754, becoming the best route linking to the interior of the island. It fostered the traffic axis of Calle del Castillo-Road to La Laguna (today Rambla de Pulido and Avenida de Canarias) and was a driving force in the development of this part of the city.

28.467847, -16.264708