Avenida de Anaga (Francisco La Roche Avenue)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Squares, streets & markets · Year: 1949

This avenue, which runs parallel to the port facilities, is vital for road traffic in the lower part of the city. On the side of the road overlooking the port there is a magnificent pedestrian promenade with spectacular trees and gardens. In fact, throughout its length it functions as a seaside avenue, although it does not bear that name. Its official name is Avenida Francisco La Roche, in honour of one of the most important personalities from Tenerife in the first half of the 20th century (mayor, president of the Cabildo, president of the Provincial Commonwealth and other important positions), but it is popularly known as Avenida de Anaga, after the mountain range so clearly visible from its promenade. 

The origin of this road lies in the original layout of the road to San Andrs and Taganana, begun in 1862. From 1911 onwards, the strip of land or rather the slope between this road and La Marina street was used to build the first series of constructions along the road, related to port activity. Later, the levels were equalised and coal deposits and other warehouses were progressively removed, establishing the basis for creating a road with an urban character rather than as a port auxiliary. Thus it was configured from the pier to the now disappeared San Pedro battery, an old military building that was located where the port's passenger terminal is today. Lengthy negotiations with the military were needed to obtain the land of both the old battery and the Engineers' Command that was located there, which hindered the road's development to the north. The demolition of the military installations had been planned since 1931 but took several years to carry out.

The Avenida de Anaga, as we know it today, was designed by the Port Works Board in 1934, but it was not until 1949, after the end of the Civil War, that the first works were carried out with financial help from the Cabildo, taking advantage of the construction of the Ribera pier. By 1956 the road's layout was almost finalised.

During the 1960s and 1970s, on the opposite pavement to the tree-lined pedestrian promenade, a true wall of large buildings was progressively erected, surpassing the level of La Marina street, which was left without any sea view. At the ground floors of these buildings, businesses related to catering and nightlife have been established, making the avenue one of the liveliest areas of the city.

28.472585, -16.246952