Headquarters of Club Deportivo Tenerife
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Leisure · Subcategory: Sports · Year: 1922
Club Deportivo Tenerife, the football team representing the island, was founded in 1922 as the heir to a previous team, Tenerife Sporting Club, established a decade earlier whose members and players met in the halls of the Centro de Dependientes del Comercio y de la Industria, located on San José street (now Bethencourt Alfonso).
The first board of the new CD Tenerife decided to change its headquarters, first to Candelaria street and later to Clavel street, although the location that seemed definitive was established, after the civil war, in an old house of Canarian popular architectural style located at number 16 Castillo street. This building was consumed by flames and completely destroyed by a terrible fire on 16 April 1945. The club then lost its home with its trophies and all its documentation.
After this unfortunate event, the Masa Coral Tinerfeña offered to host Tenerife's offices at its headquarters on Ruiz de Padrón street, where they stayed for a short time, since in January 1947 the club moved to Candelaria square, above the Claverie jewellery shop, where the Olimpo building now stands. There the football entity remained for a dozen years, during which it celebrated its long-awaited promotion to the national categories.
At the end of 1959 CD Tenerife changed address again, now settling at 2 Viera y Clavijo street, above what was the Llabrés pharmacy, where the Santa Cruz pharmacy is today. They were installed here for three decades, until 1989, when, after the renovation of the Tribune area of the Heliodoro Rodríguez López stadium was completed, they moved to the lower part of that stand.
In March 1992 there was another move, this time to a building on Callejón del Combate, which was soon visited by fans to purchase their shares during the process of converting the entity into a Sociedad Anónima Deportiva (Sports Public Limited Company).
Finally, in October 2014, the offices returned to the Heliodoro, this time to spacious facilities located under the Anfiteatro stand.
28.46827, -16.25281