Warehouse of the Port Works Board

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Industrial architecture · Year: 1919

The Port Works Board inaugurated in 1919, near the current North pier, a slipway with the purpose of carrying out repairs and careening of its fleet, while also providing service to private individuals. It could accommodate ships of up to 200 tons and was equipped with a warehouse, mechanical workshops, a shipwright's carpentry and laboratories where tests were carried out on materials for the port works being undertaken.

The building we can see today was the warehouse of that slipway and is the only remaining structure of the entire complex.

Its horizontal façade is topped by the corporation's coat of arms, consisting of a bridge and an anchor framed by vegetal motifs. 

This warehouse, after the closure of the slipway, was abandoned for many years, until in 1989 it housed a terrace-discotheque which later closed. Its current use is unknown.

28.47827, -16.243429