Water Reservoir of the Plaza de Toros
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Industrial architecture · Year: 1928 · Authors: Antonio Pintor y Ocete
The population growth of the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife at the beginning of the 20th century altered all forecasts for the supply and distribution of water to the population. Wooden channels and public fountains were left behind.
In 1915, the architect Antonio Pintor drew up the plans for a new municipal water reservoir (the previous one, built at the end of the 19th century on top of the Salamanca neighbourhood, had become too small) on a plot located behind the Plaza de Toros owned by the City Council. Construction could not begin at that time due to the severe economic crisis caused by the outbreak of the First World War. In 1924, a decade later, the situation had normalised and work began. The new reservoir entered service in 1929, after serious problems with its foundation were resolved.
A basalt stone slope forms the bulk of the building. Reinforced concrete was used for the structure that supports both the vertical thrusts of the roof and the horizontal thrusts of the water accumulated in the large interior reservoir. The roof is constructed in concrete over beams, on top of which a pavement of coloured compressed cement slabs is placed, drawing a perimeter border and protecting the water from the action of the sun, thus preventing expansions.
On one side of the structure there is a building intended to house a machinery store. The whole complex is surrounded by an austere and elegant enclosure.
28.470292, -16.26058