Anaga Watchtower or Lookout
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Military architecture · Year: S. XVI
It is known that since 1559 a lookout post was already operating in Anaga to spot the arrival of foreign ships. There is evidence that several observation posts were located in various parts of the island from which the largest possible arc of the horizon could be covered, with the aim of warning, through a varied system of coded signals (smoke, fire, flags, reflections by mirrors, etc.), of a possible pirate attack or invasion.
The Anaga area, due to its rugged and uninhabited coastline, was always preferred by vessels dedicated to piracy and plundering ships passing through those waters near the port of Santa Cruz. For this reason and as a precaution to be forewarned of the presence of enemy fleets, the military authorities decided to place observation and guard posts in the area.
One of these lookouts or watchtowers was located on the northern slope that closes the Igueste de San Andrés ravine, a privileged position for controlling the entire sea strip between the Anaga point and a good part of the south of the island. The watchman had to light a fire at prayer time and as many more as ships he spotted on the horizon, thus warning the Castillo de San Cristóbal. This service was maintained well into the 19th century, when the risks of attacks and external invasions diminished. From then on, it was no longer the military watching the slopes of Anaga, but merchants with commercial interests who were now concerned with deciphering the signal codes that warned what type of commercial vessel was approaching the port.
In 1868, it was the Town Hall that took charge of paying the watchman. The warning service was not constant, as the Corporation did not always have sufficient budget to maintain it. But with the commissioning of the Igueste de San Andrés Semaphore, whose service was regularly managed by the State, the old Watchtower became obsolete.
Today, a little higher than where the Semaphore is located, remain the remains of a rectangular building, built in masonry and vaulted, which served as accommodation for the watchmen stationed there.
28.530021, -16.148098