Propeller of the Cruiser Canarias
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Industrial architecture · Year: 1930
One of the propellers of the historic cruiser Canarias is located on Anaga Avenue, at the entrance to the North Dock. It was delivered to the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife on 16 January 1980 by the general commander of the Maritime Zone of the Canary Islands, Vice Admiral Francisco Jaraíz Franco, adopted son of Tenerife, in an emotional ceremony held on the bridge of the destroyer Lángara .
The propeller with number Z.4780 R.H. was built in 1930 by J. Stone & Co Ltd. in Deptford, England. It has a diameter of 3.23 metres, a pitch of 3.65 metres and a surface area of 5.62 square metres. It was made from a bronze and aluminium alloy, materials resistant to corrosion and impacts. The three blades that make it up are very wide, although they have little thickness to avoid friction and water density. Each blade is formed by a set of aerodynamic profiles that progressively change their angle of incidence from the root to the tip.
This propeller is one of the four with which the warship Canarias was equipped during the forty-four years (1931-1975) of its history, so closely linked to the port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
28.478555, -16.243131