The Wall

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Military architecture · Year: 1656

The bay of Santa Cruz, as extensive as it is irregular, could not only be defended from attacks and external landings by means of castles, forts and batteries. It was necessary to complete the city's defensive system through walls, trenches or ramparts running along the coast, covering the entire shoreline, from Caleta del Negro in the south to Paso Alto in the north.

The first walls built were simple stretches of wall located at the most vulnerable points of the coast, quickly improvised to face some threat, and then ruined by the weather almost as quickly. In the map drawn up by engineer Torriani at the end of the 16th century, the presence of a continuous line of walls on the coast of the Cabo neighbourhood is indicated.

In 1656, under the threat of an attack by the English fleet, Captain General Alonso Dávila y Guzmán ordered the construction of a true wall that would run along the entire coastline. The works lasted years and consisted of the construction of a rampart 15 palms wide with three characteristic elements: an outer wall facing the sea five palms wide made of lime and pebble; another wall facing inland of dry stone four palms wide; and between the two, a six-palm gap filled with earth and rubble.

In some sections of La Marina street facing the sea, where no buildings have been constructed, remains of this wall remain, reaching a considerable height. Opposite the Arquitecto Marrero Regalado square, where República de Honduras street runs today, there are also fairly well-preserved remains of the defensive rampart; in fact, this area was popularly known as "La Muralla".

28.474102, -16.247455