Civil Guard Barracks
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1935 · Authors: José Blasco Robles
The foundation of the Civil Guard in Spain took place in 1844 by Field Marshal Francisco Javier Girón y Ezpeleta, II Duke of Ahumada. Its function: "to effectively protect people and property" in a historical context where security was threatened both by the Carlist Wars and endemic banditry.
The Civil Guard arrived in the Canary Islands at the end of the 19th century, when after the Disaster of 1898 and the loss of the possessions of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines, the dissolution of the Corps' Tercios stationed there occurred and their personnel were incorporated into the metropolitan staff. This increase in personnel allowed the creation of the Civil Guard Command of the Canary Islands established in Santa Cruz de Tenerife by royal order of 1 July 1898.
The first contingent of civil guards arrived at the port of Santa Cruz on 21 November on the ship Hespérides . The staff then consisted of a commander, two captains, two first lieutenants, two seconds, and 110 civil guards grouped into an Infantry company and a Cavalry section of 30 horsemen.
This first group initially settled in two different places: the troops in a boarding house located at number 49 La Marina street; the officers in a house at number 63 San Francisco street. Both establishments were connected by the alley of Las Bodegas, in the heart of the El Toscal neighbourhood.
In 1935 a spacious Civil Guard barracks was built opposite the church of El Pilar. The plans were drafted by the architect José Blasco and the building consisted of a large floor where the barracks' facilities and stables for the cavalry detachment were developed. The establishment, now disappeared, operated alongside another headquarters located on San Sebastián street.
Since 1978 the Civil Guard command of the city has been located in the Ofra neighbourhood.
28.469276, -16.251643