Puerto Escondido Fountain

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1820

This fountain, initially known as Chorro de Arriba, was built in 1820 at the confluence of San Roque Street (now Suárez Guerra) and Norte Street (now Valentín Sanz), at the end of the vault that covered the Guaite ravine which now runs beneath Ruiz de Padrón Street.

The fountain was supplied by a pipe that took water from the aqueduct leading to the nearby orchard of the San Francisco convent. In November 1845 it was moved slightly higher, to the corner of Patriotism Square, attached to a wall that enclosed an orchard adjacent to Puerto Escondido Street, the route that gave the fountain its definitive name. Its construction was of basalt and it had four spouts.

In 1912 it was moved again a few metres further west, as it then obstructed the entrance to the opulent Recreational Park. In 1932 the fountain disappeared definitively after more than a century of public service.

28.469167, -16.250686