Fountain or Spout of La Aguada

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1787

The Muelle spout, used as a water supply spout for ships, was already in operation in 1787 when the Marquis of Branciforte ordered its installation at the corner of the dock with the beach, just below the Alameda. 

The spout, which was made of wood, broke down around 1811 and was replaced by a new spout, this time made of cast iron.

This was the only water supply fountain in the town that was not free, as it was intended to supply the ships that requested the water service, for which a set fee was paid. 

The water spout was in operation until 1856, when Juan Cumella, a local merchant, was authorised to install a reservoir behind the Isabel II fountain and through his own piping to conduct water from there to the dock with the purpose of supplying ships directly, paying 10% of the revenue to the town council.

28.467538, -16.247547