Church of María Auxiliadora (Duggi)
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Architecture · Subcategory: Religious architecture · Year: 1901
The Parish of María Auxiliadora is located in the heart of the Duggi neighbourhood, specifically on General Serrano street. It occupies part of the interior space of an old industrial warehouse built in 1901, a period of full urban development of the neighbourhood.
The building, originally clearly industrial in use, extends across the entire width of the block through a huge cruciform floor plan, of which the Parish only occupies part of the arm and the entire foot. Regarding its exterior, the building features two curious identical eclectic façades; one, that of the parish, facing General Serrano street; and another, in worse condition due to abandonment, facing Porlier street.
The religious use of this building, which had been abandoned for decades, began in the year 2000. The church was placed under the patronage of the Virgin Mary Help of Christians, popularly known as “María Auxiliadora”.
The image of the Virgin venerated in this temple was blessed in Madrid in June 1947 by the highest authority of the Salesian Order in Spain. Initially, it was cared for by the Salesian sisters of the Hogar Escuela María Auxiliadora school on La Rosa street. Years later, it was transferred to the Salesianos school, opposite the old military hospital, until the demolition and relocation of the school and religious community to La Cuesta.
The festivities in honour of the Virgin María Auxiliadora, patron saint of the Duggi neighbourhood since 1950, are celebrated every 24 May. During this festival, the neighbourhood alters its routine with a procession of the image and a varied programme of both recreational and cultural activities.
28.4667, -16.25879