Santa Teresa Battery

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1788 · Authors: Fausto Caballero

This coastal battery was located behind the San Miguel fort, on the right bank of the Tahodio ravine, almost buried on a small plateau overlooking the coast. It was designed by the military engineer Fausto Caballero and built between 1788 and 1790. Its structure was conceived as circular with a platform large enough for the recoil of the guns. It served as a defence against possible landings on the coastline between the Tahodio and Almeida ravines.

It was armed with five cannons and had a garrison of one sergeant, one corporal and five soldiers. It lacked a guardhouse, but in 1850 an agreement was made with the owner of the adjacent land, Francisco Ventoso, that if necessary, the dwelling house of the spacious estate could be used as a store for the battery. At the beginning of the 20th century it was declared useless for defence.

28.47878, -16.24349