Castle of San Cristóbal
Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1575 · Authors: Francés de Ávila
The Castle of San Cristóbal was the main defensive bastion of the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Throughout its more than three centuries of existence, this fortress effectively participated in the defence against the various attacks the city suffered throughout its history, especially those carried out by the English fleets commanded by Blake in 1657, Jennings in 1706 and Nelson in 1797. For all these reasons, it held first-rate historical importance.
The year 1575 marks the birth of this important military construction. By royal decree of 25 July, King Philip II ordered the building of a fortress according to the plans drawn up by the artillery captain general Francés de Álava, taking into account the preliminary work carried out on the site by the military engineer Juan Alonso Rubián. Its location was set on the northern flank of the Blas Díaz cove, on a basalt point or promontory jutting into the sea. At that time, this place was occupied by the hermitage of La Consolación, which had to be relocated to make way for the new castle to be built. This location was considered suitable for the defence of the entire bay, as it had a wide field of action to the north, the main sector from which vessels approached Santa Cruz.
The castle was built as a square structure of 110 feet per side, including the thickness of the walls, with vaulted embankments and four bastions shaped like diamond points at its four corners. It was constructed of solid ashlar at its base and rubble masonry from mid-height upwards. Inside, accessed from the side opposite the sea, there was a courtyard that distributed the governor's quarters, the garrison's rooms, the storage areas and the cistern. The direction and inspection of the works were entrusted to the island governor, Juan Álvarez de Fonseca. It was first armed on 21 January 1577, with all the works of the complex completed by 30 November 1578. It was named San Cristóbal, patron saint of the most important city on the island at that time: La Laguna.
Over the years, its structure underwent numerous reforms and adaptations. In 1639, an oratory was added; later, a small prison or dungeon and a bell gable with a bell to warn the population. In 1724, the general commander Marquis of Valhermoso ordered the construction of an adjoining triangular structure on the west side of the square, which gave the castle its definitive appearance.
At the beginning of the 20th century, with the decrease of external threats, the implementation of new military techniques and the castle being located in the middle of the connection zone between the port and the city, its obsolescence became clear, now becoming a huge obstacle to the new urban plans projected for the area. In 1926, Mayor García Sanabria obtained the transfer of the castle from the State through exchanges, whereby the city council ceded several plots around the General Captaincy to the military. The demolition of the Castle of San Cristóbal took place in 1928. Two magnificent laurels that were in its inner courtyard were transplanted to the Municipal Park. The site left by this important military building remained vacant for several years until the construction of the Plaza de España in its place.
In the latest remodelling of the Plaza de España, carried out at the beginning of the 21st century with the aim of reconnecting the city with the sea, the foundations of a small part of the old castle were uncovered, ruins that can currently be visited and where we can observe the base platform on which it was located. This is all that remains of this building that was so important for Santa Cruz.
28.466866, -16.246962