Battery of Santo Domingo

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1659

This battery was located at the entrance of the old pier, attached to the Castle of San Cristóbal on its left side. It was built in 1659 and renovated in 1704. It consisted of a solid ashlar wall ten feet high with a moat. Its purpose was to fire with its four low-fire pieces at the pier cove and the adjoining Alameda beach. It had a small wooden shed, erected in 1735, for the service of its artillery. In the 19th century, public bodies and corporations expressed their desire to demolish this military infrastructure to widen the entrance to the pier and give a larger radius to the curve developed there by the railway built to transport material for the construction of the breakwater. Its demolition was agreed by the Revolutionary Board of Santa Cruz de Tenerife on 13 October 1868, following the overthrow of Queen Isabel II.

28.467423, -16.247202