San Antonio Battery

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1656

This battery was located at the mouth of the San Antonio ravine. It was built in 1656 by order of the general commander Dávila Guzmán. It was a crenellated platform at ground level or slightly elevated with some constructions behind it for material storage and troop accommodation. Initially, it had three bronze pieces. In 1775 it was rebuilt by military engineer Francisco Gozar, being armed with eight cannons served by 30 soldiers. It took part in the main military events of the city. In 1846 it served as a salute battery for vessels arriving at or leaving the port of Santa Cruz. Perhaps the street called Calle del Saludo, which runs above where this battery once stood, owes its name to it. In 1880 it was declared inadequate for defence as it was at a very low height and could only fire along the sea line.

28.473918, -16.247251