Battery of Las Cruces

Santa Cruz de Tenerife · Category: Memory · Subcategory: Sites of memory · Year: 1780

The Battery of Las Cruces was built around 1780 with the aim of defending and preventing a possible landing on the southern flank of the town. It was located near a place then called El Calvario, on the edge of the road that led from La Caleta de Negros (Castle of San Juan) to Puerto de Caballos (mouth of the Barranco del Hierro).

This battery had embrasures for frontal and lateral defences. In 1788 it was armed with three 16-pounder cannons, three 12-pounders, three 8-pounders and a 9-inch mortar; garrisoned by a sergeant, a corporal and five soldiers.

28.454466, -16.256221